DPRK agrees to suspend nuclear activities
QĐND - Thursday, March 01, 2012, 20:33 (GMT+7)
|(photo for illustration only. Source: Tienphong)
The Democratic People’s Republic of Korea (DPRK) said it will halt nuclear tests, uranium enrichment and long-range missile launches at its Nyongbyon.
Pyongyang will also allow the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) to monitor the moratorium on uranium enrichment while productive dialogue continues, Xinhua news agency said, citing the DPRK’s Korean Central News Agency as its sources.
In an initial response to this action, US State Department spokeswoman Victoria Nuland said in a statement that President Barack Obama’s administration acclaims the Pyongyang ’s decision, adding that the US agrees to meet DPRK to finalise the plan to provide 240,000 tonnes of US food aid.
Previously, the US Special Envoy for DPRK Affairs Glyn Davies and First Vice Foreign Minister of DPRK Kim Kye Gwan held talks in Beijing , China on Feb. 23.
It was the first meeting between US and DPRK officials since the death of DPRK leader Kim Jong Il in December last year.
The talks were described as a discussion on nuclear disarmament and humanitarian relief.
Washington also aimed to take measures to resume six-party talks dialogue between China, Japan, the Republic of Korea, DPRK, Russia and the US, which were expected to give priority to the discussion of issues concerning Pyongyang’s nuclear programme.